- Sat, Sep 12Roan Mountain State Park1:00 p.m. Identifying Plants in the Aster/Sunflower Family - Frosty Levy (15 participants maximum)In this online Zoom event, participants will learn how to Identify, appreciate, and understand the pollinator importance of the diversity of the Aster/Sunflower Family. Prepare by having 3-5 flower specimens and any kind of hand lens/magnifier, and a small knife or safety razor.
- Sat, Sep 12Roan Mountain State Park1:00 p.m. Insect Songs - Cade Campell (9 participants maximum)Join Cade Campbell in search of the fall chorus of Roan Mountain’s singing insects such as crickets, katydids and cicadas. In conjunction with an ongoing research project studying Roan Mountains’ diverse insect chorus, the group will be searching for and recording a wide variety of these insects.
- Sat, Sep 12Roan Mountain State Park10:30 a.m. Mammals of Roan Mountain - Cade Campbell (9 participants maximum)Join Cade Campbell in search of mammals around the balds and spruce-fir forest of Roan Mountain. Unusual, high-elevation species such as Red Squirrel, Appalachian Cottontail and Rock Shrew will likely be gathering and feeding on the abundant fruits, seeds, insects and other bounty of the mountain.
- Sat, Sep 12Roan Mountain State Park8:30 a.m. Birding at Hampton Creek Cove - Philip Hylen (9 participants maximum)Join Roan Mountain State Park Ranger Philip Hylen viewing birds at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area, designated an "Important Bird Area" by the National Audubon Society. (Binoculars are recommended.)
- Sat, Sep 12Roan Mountain State Park6:30 a.m. Sunrise Photography - Jerry Greer (9 participants maximum)Bring you camera to join award-winning Jerry Greer to photograph the sunrise on top of Roan Mountain. Note: Jerry has requested you meet him at Carver's Gap at 6:30 am, not the field in Roan Mountain State Park.